On the first days spent in Chester, I attendend an English course,where I’ve learnt more about my attitudes in the hotel, how to interact with the guests and with my collegues.
I worked at the Crowne Plaza hotel, a four star hotel situated just behind Watergate street, close to the center. The hotel is one of the best in town, it’s really well-known, because it has every kind of amenity, and it’s popular with business men thanks to the business center it offers, in fact the hotel hosts several conventions. The hotel’s target is mainly business guests, but also tourists from all over Europe and families. With some other hotel chains, such as Holiday inn, it’s part of the IHG (Intercontinental Hotel Group).
The 5 Ps of the company:
- Product:The hotel offers 160 comfortable and well-equipped, air-conditioned rooms. Room facilities include direct-dial phone and in-room safe. Iron/ironing boards as well as trouser press are supplied in the rooms. Other room amenities include desk and minibar.Bathroom amenities include bathrobes and hair dryer. In-room entertainment options at Crowne Plaza Chester include pay movies and satellite television service. Business guests will appreciate dial-up Internet access, high-speed Internet access and wireless Internet access. Housekeeping services are also available.
Dining facilities at Crowne Plaza Chester include a restaurant. A rich, complimentary breakfast is served each morning. There is also room service available. The hotel boasts a 24-hour front desk service. A currency exchange facility is also available. Public areas at Crowne Plaza Chester are comfortably air-conditioned. There is an indoor swimming pool at the hotel. Guests can also enjoy the following spa/wellness facilities: sauna, steam room. Dry cleaning/laundry service, laundry facilities, porter/bellhop and safe-deposit box – front desk.
Guest parking is offered for a surcharge.
- Place: it’s possible to book a room on the hotel website, by telephone, in a travel agency or on booking websites.
- Promotion: the hotel is promoted on its website, on booking websites and some brochures and catalogues you can find in travel agencies, or in the town hall of Chester.
- Price: the starting price to book a room in this hotel is £89, it depends on the kind of room and on the extra services requested.
- People: there are lots of departments, such as the reception, the concierge, the restaurant, the houskeeping, the maintenance, the security, the leisure and the laundry.
On my working experience I used to help at the reception, with some back office activities such as checking the departure list, making photocopies, and doing some cleaning. I decided to spend my last working week at the restaurant of the hotel, where I trained as a waitress. I also tried the housekeeping and the leisure departments.
During this period, I think that the biggest challenge was to try to understand everything and try to ask “sorry could you repeat, please?” as little as possible, but at the end of my internship I was aware I improved not just my English skills, but also the way I interact with foreign people, and how to be useful in a hotel. My supervisor was the hotel manager Clare Lewis who has helped me a lot, with Christopher Lloyd (the reception manager) and Amy Lloyd (the restaurant supervisor). At the end of my working experience at the Crowne Plaza I received a reference letter.